Rail journey times north of the Central Belt are in many cases slower than the car – and from Perth to Edinburgh the train takes significantly longer than it did 100 years ago!
The Inter-City Express programme would transform rail travel between Edinburgh, Glasgow and the other five Scottish cities, with highly competitive journey times, such as:
- Perth to Edinburgh in 45 minutes
- Inverness to Perth in 90 minutes
- Inverness to Edinburgh/Glasgow in 2½ hours
- Aberdeen to Edinburgh / Glasgow in 2 hours
- Aberdeen to Inverness in under 2 hours
Journey times from Dundee and Stirling would also benefit from route electrification and top-class trains. And the new direct Perth-Edinburgh link would open up faster journeys from re-opened stations at Bridge of Earn and Kinross – direct to the heart of Edinburgh.